Pages

Welcome to Ask-A-Witch. Please feel free to explore our previous answers and advice, but we are no longer answering new questions. We hope you enjoy the information provided and wish you all a very witchy day!

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Sarah from the Bahamas (formerly Woodbridge, VA)

Good morning, witches!

Belated Lughnasadh blessings to all of you dears up there. I've got a question about working with the spirits of those who have passed on. My father was not a pagan, but I'd like to ask him to be present at times. The same for a couple of other people who I'd like to petition to help me with positive workings. Is it unethical to even ask them if they didn't believe the way that I do? If the person believed in Christianity, is it "wrong" or disrespectful to honor them the way that I do with offerings of food and drink in my circle and on my altar? I go to the local graveyard to visit a woman who I admired greatly and who served as an inspiration to me and others on the island, but I know she didn't like me while she was alive. (Not because I did anything to her. Just a clash of personality.) Do you think it would be better if I didn't leave her offerings and flowers? I do it because no one else visits her grave, and I know she is still here. I will be opening a shop in the future, and would like to do so in her honor since she was such a big influence on the island's art scene. Silly stuff that is bugging me, that I thought, hmmm...let me ask another witch and see what they think. Thanks! Bright blessings from the Bahamas.

-------------

Dear Sarah,

It's been a while since we've heard from you!  It is very respectful and honorable to include your ancestors and passed on family members on your altar or in your rituals. And it's very sweet of you to visit that lady's grave and leave offerings.  I'm not sure it's a good idea for you to open up a shop in her honor, since you two were not very close, because those close to her might find it offensive.


Talk to you soon!

Witch