Pages

Welcome to Ask-A-Witch. Please feel free to explore our previous answers and advice, but we are no longer answering new questions. We hope you enjoy the information provided and wish you all a very witchy day!

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Hollie from Canberra, Australia

Hi witches! I am a 15-year-old witch who has been practicing basic karma and protection rituals in secret for a few years now. I don't use herbs or gemstones as my parents are conservatives and mistakenly think that witchcraft = evil, stupidity, etc. So far, I've managed with a few black, white, and red candles; no altar, herbs, or incense; and the only gems I have used have been those on a few necklaces. The spells were weak, but did enough of their job.

Anyhow, I have an older friend in university who has horrible anxiety issues. She regularly has panic attacks, and no meds, therapies, or stays at hospitals have helped. In fact, staying at a few hospitals made it worse, but I digress.

I want to cast a spell or two to help her, but I'm not sure how to do so, and whether it can be solely done by candlelight at 3am (hey, it's the only way I can cast spells with my parents!). Some advice would be totally awesome, along with ways to get my hands on herbs and such without my parents getting suspicious.

Oh! And before I go, I noticed a few questions about how werewolves don't exist. I apologize if this comes across as offensive, but I'd love to know about the existence of Fae, demons, and angels. Thanks, guys!

-------------

Dear Hollie,

Since you want a spell using candles only, hold a white candle between the palms of your hands. See your friend in your mind's eye. While focusing on your breathing - deeply in through your nose, exhaling through your mouth - see yourself sending calming, soothing energy to your friend. Create a "white light of protection" around your friend. This should roughly look like a bubble encasing your friend. Your love and respect for your friend will help project this energy toward them. This can be done at 3 AM without your parents knowing.


I will not help you obtain herbs without your parents' permission because some herbs can be poisonous. If you want your family to allow you to play with herbs, tell them you would like to begin studying medicinal herbalism. That could open up a creative doorway for you to begin working with herbs. As a side note, medicinal herbalism is a passion of mine!

I don't believe in angels and demons, because to believe in them, I would need to be Christian. I do believe in positive and negative spirits, however. The fae are real, just not in the way that books or movies portray them. If you think about it, some form of fae, dragon, gargoyle, and mythical creatures exist in almost every culture in the world, so there has to be something real about it. Check out Ted Andrews' great series of books about fae and mythical creatures.

Witch