Pages

Welcome to Ask-A-Witch. Please feel free to explore our previous answers and advice, but we are no longer answering new questions. We hope you enjoy the information provided and wish you all a very witchy day!

Friday, July 25, 2014

Bound in the Broom Closet from Virginia

Here it goes.

I live in a small town right in the middle of the Bible Belt where talk is cheap when the story is good. Everyone knows everybody's business and secrets don't stay secrets long.

I have been a solitary eclectic practitioner for about two years now, so I am still new to my path, however only several close friends and my partner know of my journey. I have spoken with my mother about it a few times, but she does not know the extent of my beliefs. I feel she would be more understanding than my father. They are both Southern Baptists, (just as I was raised) but my mother has always had psychic inclinations that seem to make her more open to diverse thought about metaphysics.

Here is where it gets interesting... I am a Middle School English Teacher.

I truly want to come out of the broom closet to my family, friends, and community, but I know the effects this could have on my career and professional life. So many people in this area do not understand that witchcraft is not of the devil, and most folks around here wouldn't want a witch teaching their "sweet little darlin's."

I don't want to be the center of a public school "witch hunt." I know there is legislation in place to protect my rights, however in southern "good ol' boy" politics, not much can stop a decision of the school board.

What do I do?!

-------------

Dear Bound in the Broom Closet,

I would love to tell you to be bold, brave, and ride your broomstick right out of that closet, but the truth is, it could definitely ruin your career. People like to pretend that they're evolved, but the truth deep down inside is that they don't like anyone who's not identical to them. Our Lord and Lady do not require us to share with the world what spiritual path we practice. It's more important that you continue to practice with love and devotion than to come out of the closet and live in fear.

Witch