Pages

Welcome to Ask-A-Witch. Please feel free to explore our previous answers and advice, but we are no longer answering new questions. We hope you enjoy the information provided and wish you all a very witchy day!

Friday, August 22, 2014

Sarah from Woodbridge, VA

I have lost many people over the years. At one point, in my early twenties, I was losing friends and family every three months. But, out of everyone that I know who has passed away, one has always affected me the most. A close friend of mine had to move away abruptly due to some legal issues. He was gone for several weeks when I got a call. He said that he had gotten into more legal trouble where he moved to and didn't know what to do. I didn't know what to tell him and it was a very short conversation. He said he would call me right back. He never called back again and didn't answer my calls. His previous girlfriend that lived near me called me a couple of days later and told me how he had shot himself later that same night.

Everyone else died in car accidents, overdosed, was killed, or died of old age or health-related issues. He was the only one who took his own life. Not to mention that he has done every tattoo on my body. I'm wondering if that might also have something to do with why his death has been so much harder on me than anyone else's. It has been five years since he's been gone.

I guess my real question is, what do Wiccans believe happens to people who kill themselves? I was raised Christian and some of those ingrained beliefs are hard to let go of. I have been practicing the Craft for only a few years now, so I am still new to it. So I still have a lot of questions that aren't in the books that I've read. This is one of them that has been weighing on me heavily. I just hope that his soul isn't lost and that he is at peace.

-------------

Dear Sarah,

His soul is not lost, and yes, he is at peace. Witches believe that when a person dies, when their soul leaves their physical body, their soul goes to Summerland. Summerland is a place that is beautiful and peaceful and allows the soul to absorb all the knowledge it gained from that particular lifetime and rejuvenate and prepare itself for the next lifetime.


I am terribly sorry for your loss. One of the reasons you may have such a difficult time with this particular death is because it was a death by his own hand and because the last time you spoke with him was the last day he was alive. Since you are a practicing Witch, it is never too late to have a passing to Summerland ritual for him. There is no better time to perform this ritual than Samhain of this year.

Witch